Sun’s out, guns out? Nope, sun’s out, buns out! Yepp you guessed it – it’s BBQ time!
Here are a few nice ideas to add an extra special something to your glorious summer BBQ
Lemon Chicken Skewers:
For the Marinate:
- 1 lemon
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- Extra virgin olive
For the Skewers:
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 2 red pepper
- 12 Button Mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- Soak wooden skewers in water over night to stop them burning on the barbie
- Chop up chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes (do not cut them too big as they won’t cook through!)
- Next, grate the yellow zest of 1 lemon.
- Into a zip-lock bag, put the chicken cubes, the lemon zest, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried thyme, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, salt and ground black pepper.
- Put the zip lock bag into the fridge and leave the chicken to marinate overnight
- To make the skewers, cut the onion and red pepper into 2 inch pieces
- Next, thread the chicken, onion, button mushrooms, and pepper onto the wooden skewers. Poor any remaining marinate over the skewers for extra flavour.
- Once the BBQ is hot and ready to go (we’re the cooks…not the BBQ builders!) place the skewers on, turn them every few minutes until each side is nicely charred and the meat is white all the way through.
- Whilst they’re cooking, make the salad below as a
n amazing accompaniment!
This salad is a great mix of exciting textures and flavours – give it a go! It goes perfectly with the above chicken skewers and with sausages. A great healthy alternative to bread buns.
- Chop the lettuce into thin, short strips
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and slice rounds of cucumber.
- Grate the carrot for extra moisture and flavour
- Cut the avocado into cubes and scatter ontop of the salad along with feta , cubed beetroot and green olives.
- Place a quarter slice of watermelon on the side for a fresh, summery twist!
- No dressing necessary (calorie saver – yey!) but if you wish, drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil